From the 13th Century
Château de Mercuès dates from the 13th century, but there was already a chapel here under Saint Didier, the first Bishop of Cahors, in the 7th century. It served as the residence of the Bishops of Cahors until the separation of church and state in 1905.
After World War II it became a château-hotel, but had fallen into disuse by the time it was bought by Georges Vigouroux in 1983.
Georges Vigouroux renovated the château to restore it to its former glory and to qualify it for the Relais & Château network. After the first harvest in 1987, Château de Mercuès became one of few ‘Cru hotels’ where guests can take part fully in the harvest and vinification process.